MA hardship license

Call (781)380-7730 for a consultation.

Massachusetts Hardship License Information

Thinking about getting your hardship license after an OUI conviction? Attorney Russell Matson is a Registry of Motor Vehicles hardship license expert who helps his OUI clients get their hardship licenses at RMV hearings every week.

What is a Hardship License?

A hardship license is a limited driver's license that allows you to drive for 12 hours a day in order to get to and from work.

It is available to individuals who have had their licenses revoked after a conviction or dispensation on a charge of Operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs, other driving-related offenses. The RMV mandates a minimum suspension period before a hardship application can be made, which varies depending on the reason for suspension.

How do I Get a Hardship License?

You must apply for a hardship license, provide all the necessary paperwork and documentation that you are eligible for a hardship license, and the appear before a Registry Hearings Officer. The hearing officers have a checklist of 9 different conditions that must be met in order to grant a work license for OUI or drug offenses, and 6 different factors for a Habitual traffic offender.  

To secure a hardship license, you need to have documentation of both employment and need. You must have a letter from your employer on company letterhead stating that you need a driver's license to get to work. (Here is a sample letter). A pay stub is no longer enough. If you are self-employed, you need to provide articles of your business registration.

In most cases, I am able to assist my clients in getting a hardship license withing 7 to 10 days of the conclusion of an OUI case.

Your chances of promptly receiving a hardship license can be greatly improved if an attorney such as myself represents you at an RMV hearing. Call me at (781) 380-7730 for details on how to get help in securing your hardship license.

Can I get a Hardship License after Refusing to Take a Breath Test (but before my case is resolved)?

If the registry suspends your license for refusal to take the breath test, technically you can appeal your license loss at the Registry and appeal the registry decision to the local district court. However, these appeals rarely, if ever work.

In practice, the Registry of Motor Vehicles will not issue a hardship license for refusing to take a breath test. They will only issue them for an OUI conviction ( or plea/CWOF), a drug conviction, or for Habitual Traffic Offender suspensions or after the criminal resolution of other related traffic and driving offenses. 

Why Hire Russell Matson?

I am a recognized authority on the subject of driver's license and Hardship License rules. 

I have been interviewed on the Channel 5 News in Boston by Jorge Quiroga on how people successfully get a limited hardship license in Massachusetts.

I've been repeatedly consulted on and quoted in the media, including the Patriot Ledger on issues surrounding hardship licenses. My firm represent our clients at registry hearings every week and successfully guide people through this process all the time.

If you need a hardship license, or have been charged with an OUI, you need experienced lawyer to fight for your rights. Call me for a free consultation on your case 24 hours a day at (781) 380-7730. I'll offer you some free advice whether you decide to hire me or not, so you've got nothing to lose by calling. Call now.


Russell Matson, Attorney at Law
(781) 380-7730

The Law Offices of Russell J. Matson, PC
44 Adams St, Suite 5
Braintree, MA 02184

Home | About the AttorneyContact Us

 2004-2012 RJM & The Law Offices of Russell J. Matson, P.C.